Truths and Consequences
I was talking with a friend today, discussing auto dealerships, getting fair values and honest answers and it got me to thinking. Why is it so hard for people, and for the moment I'm addressing business people, to be honest with their customers? There's a great movie out called "Flywheel" that clearly expresses the value of truth. For those who haven't seen it, it is about a Christian man who owns a car dealership and isn't always honest with his customers. His business struggles terribly and he becomes extremely convicted by God of his dishonesty. He actually goes back to a lot of people to give them money back that he felt he cheated them of. Then he decides that he will only run his business based on truth and honesty. His employees leave him because they are so certain that he will never make it by being honest in the car business. But God honors this man and rewards him for remaining committed to his decision and the man's business flourishes. It hits the news and word of mouth spreads about this man. This man sells every car on his lot in record time and ends up making more money and becomes a greatly respected businessman because people want so badly to deal with someone who will be honest with them.
I love this movie because it has challenged me to look at myself more closely. I have found in my jobs that honesty doesn't always pay off, at least it doesn't seem so. I've watched so many people lie, cheat the system, backbite, complain about anything and everything, criticize people and policies. Since I gave my life back to the Lord several years ago, I have tried really hard on the job, (everywhere else too) to be honest to my employers and co-workers and those I serve, only to watch others like I've previously described, move ahead, while I might still get in trouble for something because I was honest about it. I want to scream "It isn't fair!" I have been faced, time after time with the question, and ultimately the choice to decide, "Is it worth it to be honest and upright?" Sometimes I don't FEEL that it is, but I know in my spirit that God will be honored when I stand up and speak the truth, even if it doesn't bring about the results that I think it should.
We live in a sinful world and I will be the first to say that I am far from perfect. I just really wish that there were more Christian business people out there that would take the stand for honesty and truth. It's no wonder so many of us can't trust people, even so-called Christians, in business and even in our personal lives. I'm so grateful that God sees the efforts His children make to grow in the Fruits of the Spirit in a world made of compost.
"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God." Keep pressing on friends!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home